The AHIBA3 Message Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The AHIBA3 Message Board

AHIBA 3 is the latest continuation of the long running online baseball simulation.

Our forum has moved to www.simnation.net. Please sign on and regster at www.simnation.net- the league is now on www.ahiba3.net (new server)

4 posters

Honolulu Star-Bulletin

sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Empty Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Post by sportman13 Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:35 pm

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin is taking a look at the Honolulu Tsuanami as the season passes the quarter pole.

RECORD-(20-23)-- currently sits in 3rd place in its division, 5 games behind division leader Thunder Bay and is 6.5 games out of a wild card spot.

[b]THE GOOD-- Damian Adkins, 27 y.o. RF is off to an oustanding start hitting a league leading .411, with 9 hrs and 33 RBI. He is currently on a 26 game hitting streak

Domingas Schoenemann, 24, SP, is 5th in league in ERA at 2.83 and adding a team leading 4 wins.

Declan Hutchinson, 29, C, is back after missing 4 weeks with a groin problem and is hitting .313 with 5 homers and 24 RBI in his first 28 games.

Jeffrey Hicks, 30, SS, is hitting a surprising .318 this year so far and has yet to make an error in the field in 42 games.

[b]THE BAD--
    Miguel Domínguez,28, 1B--is off to a slow start hitting .239 with 2 hrs and 15 RBI after hitting .293 last year and driving in over 100 runs. He needs to get going.

Jorge Zamora, SP,26-- very inconsistant season so far for one of the team's largest free agent signings in the off season. Will need to improve his 4.69 ERA if the team is to move into the playoff hunt.

George Stevens,CL. 26--the team's closer has 8 saves but his ERA is 4.76 after last year's 3.11. He does seem to be turning things around allowing only 1 run in his last 6.2 innings

THE UGLY--Phil Wood, P, 28--the ugly is his 7.07 ERA another free agent signed in the off season, is being moved to the bullpen where he belongs in hopes of saving his year.

INJURIES--Tim George. RP--the 28 y.o was having a very good year out of the pen until he tore is labrum and is now out 4-5 months.

MINOR LEAGUE REPORT----top prospect (#2 in ABL) Javier Zapata is off to decent start in Single A. The 19 y.o starter has posted a 5-5 record and a 4.14 ERA. The future looks bright for his youngster.

Ryan Cameron, C,23--the #6 prospect is hitting .341 and was recently selected to the rookie league all-star game.

Alfredo Estrada. SP,23-- the #5 rated prospect has posted a 2.85 ERA in rookie ball and might be looking at a promotion.

Esteban Montoya, RF, 23--after a hot start in Single the Tsuanmi 2nd round pick has seen his average drop to .259 as he adjusts to wooden bats.

Francisco Valadez, SP, 23--struggled out of the gate after his trade to Honolulu posting a 10.31 ERA in April but seems to have adjusted to Single A and posted a 3.38 ERA in May. Big things are still expected from the #4 prospect[b]
    Jeff14131281
    Jeff14131281
    Batboy
    Batboy

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Empty Phil Wood

Post by Jeff14131281 Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:34 pm

I was looking over this guy to see how he is doing. I read your write up on him and I looked over his player card detail info. I'm new with OOTP so just learning myself. He may have a stamina issue and it says bullpen for suggested role. He seems to tire relatively quickly and does not give quality starts. Nice salary for him though. Overall your team is doing fairly well compared to some in this league (my brawlers included in the dead bunch). Nice write up overall. Your user id is awfully familiar. I think I have seen that somewhere at another site. Good luck with that team fighting for a playoff spot.
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    Batboy
    Batboy

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Empty Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Post by Bumstead Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:48 pm

good posting
    sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Post by sportman13 Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:01 pm

I am fairly new to OOTP myself. I signed Wood with the intention of using him in the bullpen, but my lack of starter forced me to try him there. He is going back to the pen. I use the same user ID in CSFBL if you play that.
    Jeff14131281
    Jeff14131281
    Batboy
    Batboy

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Empty CSFBL

Post by Jeff14131281 Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:05 pm

Yep, that is it. The write up recommendations in the various screens here tend to be somewhat reliable. I don't know yet if there are examples that show otherwise. I guess it is good to experiment just to see how things work. The software is detailed enough and seeing the minor league guys perform along with the kids in college and high school is pretty neat.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish
    Commish

Div Titles: : '09

Post by Rich Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:28 pm

Good job Mark! I wasn't really into articles my first 10 years involved with sim leagues. But I was in a few writing required leagues and I found that it helped everyone get into the league more, help GM learn their own players as well as other teams, and helps eveyone keep up with league events (as it's impossible to know everything that is going on in all levels of the league.

I recommend everyone try to do an article or two a season. It really helps you learn the organization. Even if you only do a paragraph or two.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish
    Commish

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Empty Hit Streak record

Post by Rich Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:23 am

09-03-2009 Robert Jones 30 Games, while playing for Thunder Bay
    sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Post by sportman13 Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:15 am

I guess I jinxed Adkins, since his hitting streak stopped in his next game at 26
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish
    Commish

Post by Rich Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:01 am

or me Suspect
    sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Post by sportman13 Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:34 pm

I hope he blames you or he may ask for a trade or something
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish
    Commish

Post by Rich Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:40 pm

What stinks is he had the 0-5 on 25th and then got a hit the next 4 days? We could use a .400 hitter with power, speed, and a good glove in Brooklyn! santa
    sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Post by sportman13 Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:08 pm

I think I would get fired if I let him go, Christmas time or not. LOL
    sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Post by sportman13 Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:08 pm

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin is taking a look at the Honolulu Tsunami as the season reaches the half-way point.

THE RECORD (38-42): currently sits in 4th place in the division 12 games back of division leading Thunder Bay and now 12 games out in the Wild card chase.
    The second quarter starter out well for the Tsunami as they moved to 3 games over .500 but ended four games under as the quarter ended.

THE GOOD: Damian Adkins, 27, the outfielder is still hitting over .400 with 14 home runs and 5o RBI. He has been fun to watch.

Ángel Gamboa--the 28 year old is enjoying his first full season in the bigs hitting .316 with 10 and a team leading 56 RBI.

Declan Hutchinson--the 29 y.o catcher continues his good year hitting .301 with 10 homers and 52 RBI.

[b]Jeffrey Hicks--
    contiues to hit over .300 while only maing 1 error this season.

Domingas Schoenemann--the teams ace continues to put up good numbers, although his win total does not show it, posting a 3.20 ERA and 1.28 WHIP. Those numbers deserve better than a 6-7 record.

George Stevens--the closer has pitched much better and lowered his ERA from 4.76 to 3.21-much easier to look at.

Jorge Zamora--the free agent signee has pitched much better posting an ERA under 4.00 for June and July. Hopefully this trend will continue.

THE BAD: the 5th starter spot has been a train wreck all year, first with Roberto Trujillo and his 7.95 ERA in 14 starts and now Joe Scott and his 9.37 ERA in 4 starts.

First Base:had been a disaster first with Miguel Domínguez, .232, 2 homers and 24 RBI and now with Marc-André Lavoie and his .133, 0, 4 numbers. The team has said that it will now look to to 28 y.o Diego Domínguez to help at 1st.

CENTERFIELD: Chris Campbell signed as an in-season replacement has not got the job done so the search continues.

THE UGLY: Phil Woodalthough better his 5.85 ERA is still ugly. To be fair his June and July have been much better after his move to the pen.

POWER: the team sits in 10th place in home runs with 71. less than 1 a game--not good in a league where hitting is ahead of pitching.

MINOR LEAGUE UP-DATE

[b]Alfredo Guerra--
    the 24 y.o Of is doing well in AAA hitting .294 with 16 homers and a team-leading 72 RBI.

Javier Zapata--the team's top rated prospect continues to progress well in Single A posting a 3.95 ERA. The team is looking for big things from the 19 year-old.

Javier Bernal--the 19 y.o free agent signee hit .324 in rookie ball and will now be moved to single A to see if he can keep hitting.

Francisco Valadez--the struggles continue for Valadez as the team waits for the light to go on.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish
    Commish

Post by Rich Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:02 pm

good work! Very Happy
    sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Post by sportman13 Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:10 pm

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin is taking a look at the Honolulu Tsunami as the season moves just past the three-quarter pole.

[b]THE RECORD(62-64):
    The team is spinning its tires sitting 2 games under the .500 mark after being 4 under at the half-way point. They are now sitting 20 games out in the wild card chase, while only 14.5 games out in the division race. Either way the playoffs are looking bleak.

THE GOOD: Damian Adkins, 5th in the league in hitting is comtinuing his fine season. Adkins just had a 27-game hitting streak come to an end-his 2nd 20+ streak of the year, he had a 26-gamer earlier.

Diego Domínguez, has been a nice find since his mid-season call up and is hitting over .300 and filled a void in the #2 spot in the batting order.

Jeffrey Hicks, continues his surprising season now hitting .330 with a .402 OBP while still playing well in the field with only 9 errors in over 600 chances at SS. Hicks has added 30 SB to the lead-off spot.

THE BULLPEN:the bullpen has been outstanding posting a 3.31 ERA to lead the HL. Closer George Stevens, set-up guys Ralph Dundee, and Eldon Paget all have ERA's under 3.00.

Ángel Gamboa,the 28 y.o is having a great year driving in a team-leading 92 runs while adding 16 homers and hitting a very nice .321

Bob Hayward completes the outfield trio, by hitting .320 with 12 homers and 77 RBI.

[PHIL WOOD: after being a FA disaster in the first 2 months of the year Wood has settled into a bullpen role getting better as the season has moved on. He posted a June ERA of 3.75, July ERA of 2.88 and August of 2.28.

THE BAD

THE STARTING STAFF:
    besides Domingas Schoenemann, the other have just been too inconsistant to allow the team to put a streak together and move up in the standings.

Jared Reed, RP:one of the few releivers struggline this year with an ERA of 4.49.

THE BENCH: the team has really struggled with hitting from the bench with little power and not much average.

THE UGLY

TEAM POWER: the team is last in the league in home runs with 115, just not enough.

THE 5th SPOT IN THE ROTATION: have used 3 different pitchers and all have been brutal with ERA's over 8.00

THE MINOR LEAGUES: the minor league season has ended and the team will look to call-up some prospects to get an early look at them. Among those likely to get the call

[b]Jean-Charles Ménard, 21, the second baseman will get a long look at 2B

[b]Bill Barrett, 20,
    the team's #3 prospect will get long look at 3B as he has shown power and RBI potential in AAA

Javier Zapata,19,the team's top prospect has a very nice year in Single a posting 10 wins and 3.68 ERA the future is bright for this youngster.

Francisco Valadez,23,the 4th rated prospect struggled early but finished the year strong posting a 2.30 ERA in his last 2 starts. maybe a glimmer of his potential.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish
    Commish

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Empty Poulin/Barrett trade

Post by Rich Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm curious to see how Barrett plays as he has a lot of potential in the future. It will be fun to compare Poulin and Barrett and see who got the better of the deal. Poulin is doing fairly well and just entering his prime. Batting around .250 12 homers and 46 RBIs since coming to Brooklyn this season. He is was a big improvement over Walsh and may continue to get better as he is just 26.
    sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Post by sportman13 Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:47 am

I hated to give up Poulin, but I liked the looks of Barrett's power, it will be interesting. We will start to see soon
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish
    Commish

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Empty Barrett

Post by Rich Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:59 am

At trade time I felt they were close with a little edge to Barrett, but I needed a thirdbaseman now. I didn't think Barrett would progress as quickly. Good Luck!
    sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Post by sportman13 Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am

We will see how he does. Good luck to you as well
    sportman13
    sportman13
    Batboy
    Batboy

Post by sportman13 Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:35 pm

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin has been taking a look at the Honolulu Tsunami as they moved through the season checking in at each quarter. This time the Star-Bulletin will take a look at the team overall on the year.

THE RECORD:(77-85)- The team played 5 games below .500 in the last quarter of the season not the way they had hoped to finish. The Tsunami finished 22 games behind division winning Thunder Bay and much work must be done to close the gap.

THE GOOD:

Domingas Schoenemann, SP, [b]
    put together a very solid season posting 14 wins and an ERA of 3.74. The future is bright for the 24 y.o lefty.

THE BULLPEN-posted a league-leading 3.31 ERA, lead by 26 y.o closer George Stevens and his 32 saves

THO OUTFIELD-Ángel Gamboa(.311-17hrs-107RBI), Damian Adkins(.372-20-81), DH Bob Hayward(.335-16-95)and late addition Alfredo Guerra shoud continue to give the team solid production in the OF

Jeffrey Hicks, SS-did a great job leading off with .384 OBP and 39 steals including a 20 game hitting streak.

Diego Domínguez,1Bsolidified 1B until an injury ended his season early. Hit .298 out of the #2 hole.

THE BAD--Starting Pitchers-the starrting staff posted an ERA of 5.49 and area that must improve

[b]TEAM POWER-
    the Tsunami's 134 homers were 10th in the league.

Damian Adkins' HEALTH-for the second year in row the team's star hitter only played in 106 games due to injuries. If the team is to compete they will need a full, healthy season from Adkins.

THE UGLY

THE 5th SPOT IN THE ROTATON--
    This spot in the rotation was a train wreck, the team tried 3 different pitchers and none posted an ERA below 7.00.

TEAM RECORD IN AUGUST- a 10-17 record will not get it done coming down the stretch. Tough to compete for a wild card with those numbers.

Wan-ling Zhou, OF--THe back-up OF has to hit better than .199 with 4 homers if he is to stay in the big leagues, especially with the injuries this teams suffers in the OF.

THE FUTURE

Jean-Charles Ménard, 21, 2B--
    The team got a look at the 21 y.o Canadian and he did quite well hitting .274.

Bill Barrett, 21, 3B--the team got a quick look at the young 3B before injuries ended his season. He did hit .265 in September and hit his 1st career homer. The team hopes this is the 1st of many more for the power stavred line-up. Tiem will tell if he will start the year in AAA or the bigs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:07 pm